MENU

Three students arrested for foiled 'credible' plot to attack Albion Middle School

Albion CSD.jpg
Three students were linked to a plot to attack Albion Middle School, according to the Albion Police Department. (WHAM photo - FILE)

Albion, N.Y. (WHAM) - Three students were arrested and charged with a plot to attack Albion Middle School using explosives and guns, according to the Albion Police Department.

Albion Police Chief Roland Nenni announced Friday afternoon that the plot had been "mitigated" after the school resource officer assigned to the district was alerted by school officials about a threatening message about students committing violence against one another.

On Wednesday, district officials said they had removed multiple students from school due to inappropriate, threatening messages and images being shared through a gaming message app called Discord.

Nenni said the threat was eventually determined to be not just against one student, but involving the middle school at large. The students had reportedly planned to go into the middle school with explosives, incendiary devices and firearms, and kill or injure students and staff.

The students had also set a date to execute their plan.

After an investigation was set into motion, police went to the homes of the students allegedly involved in the plot and found several legally possessed firearms, electronic evidence and other items that were ultimately seized. Police are not disclosing what was found by investigators, where it was found or who was in possession of it.

All of the suspects are under the age of 16. They are being charged with felony second-degree conspiracy and their cases will be handled in family court. Due to their ages, none of their identities will be released.

"While this was a credible threat, we feel the attack on the school was not imminent," Nenni said. "We will not, however, release the date that was set for the attack."

He also reassured the public that at no time were staff or students in any danger.

The students are not currently in custody. They remain suspended from school.

Governor Andrew Cuomo issued a statement Friday, thanking everyone involved for their swift response to the threats.

"Any person posing a threat to our schools will face the harshest possible penalty under the law - whether or not they intend to actually execute that threat," Cuomo said.

The Albion Police Department worked with the Orleans County District Attorney's office, the FBI and the New York State Police on the case.

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER